Tuesday, January 02, 2007

My Wish For You

In the coming year, I have but one wish for you, dear reader. I wish for 2007 to be a year without fear.

I don't mean the instictive kind that tells us to run away from an immediately dangerous situation. That's part of your physical makeup, and it's very necessary. No, what I pray remains far from you is what we otherwise call "worry".

When a door opens for you, I hope you do not agonize over the consequences. Just do it. Or don't. And don't look back.

When you look at your loved ones, I hope you enjoy the wonder of their company instead of fretting over what might happen to them. I pray you receive the kind of peace that allows you to create a safe environment for them to grow, without stifling that growth.

Try not to worry about your job (this is a big one for me). Be prepared just in case you DO suddenly find yourself unemployed, then forget about it and just do your job. There's nothing you can do about it anyway, besides keeping your resume up to date.

Do not worry if you have not yet found that "someone" you've been looking for. It gives you wrinkles and just makes your search harder. Just remember this: love is an active verb. It's something we do. If you forget about being loved, and just love, you will never lack for friends, lovers, and admirers. If you go through life with the attitude that love is something to be grasped at, you'll never know what it really is. Just love - everybody.

Don't sit there worrying over your stuff. You could lose it all through theft, fire, debt collectors, or overenthusiastic relatives. You know what? I've been on the other side. Stuff is overrated. Even if you lose everything (as I did), if you've practiced "loving everybody", it'll be all right. You will still find yourself with a roof over your head, food to eat, even a few toys for your children. Practicing active love is a great insurance policy.

Two great thinkers had something to say on this subject:

"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." - Benjamin Franklin

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life, or single cubit to his height?" - Jesus Christ (Matthew 6:25-27)

I pray you receive the grace to know what is correct, and the peace to do it without fear or regret.

Comments:
The thing that gets in the way more than anything else is fear. Fear is the root of most addictions. Fear is the seed of racism. Fear is why we don't take the chances we need to take.

Great post, S.

Here's to a wonderful 2007 for you and the family.
 
That verse totally changed my life. I used to be a worrier. I worried about what I was going to worry about. I worried that I would get attacked everytime I was in a public parking lot...I worried I'd be in a wreck,I was afraid something would happen to my children, I worried about money, you name it, I worried something horrible allll the time when I was a younger adult. I was afraid to go out out my front door, I was so afraid of living. This verse totally changed my life and with some time and effort, I stopped being that way. Oh, I have minor episodes of internal worrying or obsessing over something, but, I have come a very long way. The Word is always fresh and it always applies.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]