Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Building the Great Wal of Mart - A

For some reason (maybe the fact that I'm altering my eating habits in an extreme way), I've been thinking a lot lately about grocery stores. I must say, I've been seriously considering my grocery options.

Some people are really looking forward to the new Charlotte Pike Super Target (I am, too), but I can tell you, I won't be getting groceries there, for the same reason I'm trying to stop getting them at the Super WalMart just down the road: it's more expensive.

Oh, the groceries themselves are a little cheaper. But this is how it goes every time:

The end of every grocery aisle connects with a houswares aisle. "Oh!", I say to myself, I could use another one of those plastic flatware seperators!" So, I go down the aisle, get the flatware seperator thingy, then continue to the end of the aisle so I can turn around. BUT, I run smack dab into the men's wear section. "Look!" I say to myself. "Napolean Dynamite underwear!"

I can't resist. I get the "Gosh!" underwear, and my line of sight runs smack dab into the photo department. I remember I need a battery for my camera, so I head over there (picking up something from the candy aisle on the way). I get the battery, and by Golly, I'm right next to the electronics department. I can't resist going to look at the HDTVs and other boy-toys, and I end up getting that Brad Paisley CD I've been longing for.

I exit electronics from the OTHER side, and what-do-you-know! There's the hardware section! I grab a new hammer and one of those toilet bowl floater things that Lintilla has been begging me to replace. Off to my left, I see the entrance to the lawn and garden department. I grab some of those clippers I've been wanting. The new plants are coming in, so I step into the "outside" section. Then, it hits me.

The last thing I remember, I was going to get some canned green beans. Now, somehow, I've ended up OUTSIDE, on the exact opposite end of the store I need to be in!.

On average, I spend $20-$50 more per grocery trip at WalMart than at Kroger. And that's with cheaper grocery prices!

Anyway, that's not what I came here to talk to you about. But you see, Superstores (WalMart and Target) are one distraction after another. I'll have to get to business in the next post.

Comments:
Exactly!!!

The husband and I used to shop at Walmart on a regular basis when we were first married and in Tennessee. Everything was a lot cheaper, which made it a lot easier to impulse-buy. We rarely go there any longer for several reasons, cheif of which is that we ALWAYS spend at least $30 more than we intended to before going in.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]