Friday, December 08, 2006

We Need Some Celery and a Can of Fake Snow



Now that I've become the unofficial spokesperson for all things Yuletide tacky, I might as well go all the way.

As everyone knows, there are two types of Christmas songs: songs about the birth of Jesus and songs about the Christmas season. I would not be a very good Christian if I didn't say the former is my favorite type. Oh, Holy Night is my absolute favorite.

But, of all songs about the Christmas "season", one stands apart as my absolute favorite: Rober Earl Keen's "Merry Christmas From the Family". I know this sounds crazy, but this vulgar, tacky song actually gives me the warm fuzzies.

Why? I know these people. I guess you can take the boy out of the trailer park (and stick him in West Meade), but you can't take the trailer park out of the boy. All the folks Keen introduces us to in this song are people who have a parallel in my circle of friends and family.

And we HAVE made store runs on Christmas day for "ice and extension cords, a can of bean dip and some Diet Rites". I'm not so sure about feminine hygene products. Certainly Marlboro Lights.

I probably should feel guilty for loving this song so much, but I don't.

Halleluia, everybody say cheese!

Comments:
You realize that I'm quite smitten with you.
You are so cool.
Compliment of the day supplied by newscoma.
 
oh man, I LOVE THAT song..

such exquisite taste you have, Ugly Betty and now Robert Earl Keen's Christmas song..

my my my
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]