Monday, November 13, 2006

Return of the Penguins

This year's crop of Holiday season movies was looking to be one I'd prefer to miss, until this past weekend when the kids wanted to check out the Comcast On Demand previews for "Happy Feet" .

Now, I'm excited. This is one movie I want to see opening day.

I'm something of a a digital-animation movie nut. I can tell you that in this particular corner of the movie world, there is Pixar, then there is everyone else. Pixar, with Toy Story, found the right formula and has never wavered. Pixar films have real stories, the kind adults can enjoy even if they don't have children. I still contend that The Incredibles is the best movie EVER about the "middle age crazies". FAR better than American Beauty. In all fairness, Cars was not the best Pixar has done.

That being said, the other studios have had a hard time getting it right. They can make movies the kids like, but parents are bored. The one HUGE exception was Dreamwork's Shrek . Its sardonic attitude was just plain FUN, the music was offbeat and wonderful, and there was a real story. IMHO, Shrek was one of the 10 best animated movies EVER.

I did not see Open Season. The "animals go on an adventure" theme is old, I've already seen THAT movie. I was about to give up hope for any studio but Pixar to ever make an entertaining animated movie.

Then I saw the previews for Happy Feet. Unless I have totally been fooled, I can tell this is going to be a GREAT movie.

It's going to be a film based on Joy. Isn't that what we've been missing lately? Pure, unadulterated joy? Springsteen Jersey concert in 1978 joy. Church of God revival meeting joy. First love, first car, first kiss joy. I can't wait.

It appears to be a celebration of music and dance. It features the "sounds" of Sovian Glover, for crying out loud! The soundtrack , it's my favorite kind: new people doing old songs. The storyline is also my favorite: finding your place in the world.

I can't wait. Is it November 17 yet?

Comments:
I wasn't excited at all about this one until I saw it was being directed by Babe creator George Miller .. I'll follow that man anywhere .. and Savion Glover just rules!
 
ahhhhhhhhh..Springsteen concert in Jersey 1978 joy..nice!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]