Friday, November 10, 2006

Fair Warning

Yesterday, at Nashville Is Talking, there was a discussion of "Purity Balls". In the comments, I made a complete ass of myself. After my second ridiculous comment, I had to take a step back and ask myself why I was behaving so irrationally.

What self-examination revealed was surprising. What had REALLY set me off was in the original referenced post at Women's Health News Rachel ahd said something I'm sure she thought was totally innocuous:

Now, it's not as though I think kids should be going out and having a ton of sex (although they will)...


The "although they WILL" reference had brought back some incredibly painful memories for me. I decided to write an explaination as a post, both to give context, and as a cathartic method to finally move on from something which I have never been able to let go.

Needless to say, I hereby will excuse myself from any political/social discussions about "virginity", I don't think I'm capable of rational discussion of the subject. I am very sorry for going off. Really, I am.

Fair warning, my next post will be extremely personal - if this makes you uncomfortable, I have lots of humor posts you can read instead. You have been warned.

If you, however, want an insight into a societal problem you've probably never though about before, stay tuned. It'll be in a separate post, because it's quite long. If I don't chicken out, I'll post it shortly.

Comments:
Slarti,
What I wanted to say with that "although they will" comment is that some teenagers will have sex. Not all of them, and not all the time, but they will. I wanted to make it clear, though, that I'm not objecting to teens who choose abstinence. I have no problem with people choosing abstinence. You may be someone who made that choice. What I have a problem with is what I perceive as the ickiness of the whole father-daughter Purity Ball thing, and people who refuse to teach those teens how to protect themselves if they choose a path their parents wouldn't have chosen for them.

I'm sorry if it brought up some painful memories for you. I want you to understand that I am in no way denigrating those who make an informed choice on their own to be abstinent.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]