Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Anony-Moose

There was something about Thomas McKenzie's post about anonymous blogging that really got to me yesterday. Normally, I love his writing, but something about this post had a neener-neener quality to it, and I think it's quite unbecoming.

What the post said made sense on some level:

It seems the internet is full of people who are creating alternative identities. I don't have to give you any evidence of that, you might well have an alternative identity yourself. Perhaps you are anonymous on the web. I don't know, and I don't mind. I understand the impulse. However, there is a sense in which anonymity only further fosters the break-down of community, real relationships, and accountability.

I want my blog to be a place where I can be better known, and I can better connect with others. My blog is a hobby, and its also a document of self-exploration and self-expression. But its also a forum for real connection. And because I am accountable to "real-world" people, its a place where I can further develop integrity.


Certainly lately we've seen examples of problems when anonymous bloggers are outed when they don't want to be. I don't know if these latest dustups are what Thomas is talking about, but it is an interesting coincidence.

The problem, though, is that McKenzie only gives one reason why someone would blog anonymously: to create an alternate identity where one can say things they wouldn't say in "real life". I'd like to help him out, and let him know that there are other reasons. Here are a few:

  • Some of us are just geeks. As you can tell, I am a Douglas Adams geek. Sometimes, to the geek mindset, it's just cool to see how many references you can put in one place to whatever it is you're geeking over (in my case, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"). Sometimes, believe it or not, it's just a way of having FUN.
  • Some use it as a marketing tool. I first found, and got interested in Busy Mom because of the name, and the way she had named her entire "busy" family. She drew me in. That's good marketing. I can't tell you how many people have come here and asked "I saw you over at NIT and had to come here to ask: You didn't REALLY name your son Zaphod, did you?" Well, if I do a good job, I can win them as a loyal reader. But they never would have come in the first place, if the name(s) didn't make them curious.
  • Some of us have children, who made us promise we'd never mention them by name. I took a little heat for discussing my son's weight problems here. And I NEVER would have done it if I had to use his real name. But you know what? I asked for help, and I got some incredible suggestions that are WORKING as we speak. Sometimes, anonymous posting is quite helpful, especially when speaking about third parties.
  • Some of us post to our blogs (gasp!) while at work, and we'd like to keep our jobs. I never post about the company I work for, but I do occasionally (well, more than occasionally) post while "on the clock", as it were. Yes, I know that somewhere in the bowels of the massive net logs produced at my very large company, there are records of me posting to Blogger. I have no intention of helping them out, though. Is it wrong? Probably. I never said I was perfect.

    I am very much aware that many people blog anonymously so they can say outlandish things and not get called on it in real life. That's not me, I blog semi-anonymously for all the reasons listed above. And I'm not very anonymous at that: I post pictures of my children, and make no bones about the fact that I play in this band, and I've left countless other clues that one, if they wanted to, could piece together and "out" me.

    I'll give you a few more:
    I graduated from Hillwood High School in 1982, it would have been Bellevue HS, but desegregation forced the closure of Bellevue in 1981. I live in West Meade and attend a nearby United Methodist church. I played in the praise band there until earlier this year, till we got fi...er..the church went in another direction. But they STILL let me preach every now and then. I played in a Hair Power-Pop band in the 80's. My kids go to a Catholic School, located in a part of town with a lot of "War is Not the Answer" yard signs. My dad was a machinist. My younger brother has muscular dystrophy. Heck, even the name of this blog gives away who I am to people who know me. This ought to be enough.

    Take this info and do with it what you will. Me, I NEED the thin veneer of semi-anonymity for the reasons I listed above. Rest assured, Slartibartfast is NO different in what he says or how he says it than the "real" me.

    Labels:


  • Comments:
    I read his (T.Mc's) differently..I think he was explaining why HE needed to blog openly. Considering his occupation and position, I think it's a gutsy thing to do, but I certainly understand work-wise why people need to blog anonomously at times.

    It's the people who take serious pot-shots at others and then hide behind anonymity that I see as a problem. You are CERTAINLY not in that category.

    Am really enjoying your blog!
     
    I don't post anonymously. There are times I wish I did.

    But since I write fiction, I wanted to have a place where I wrote honestly. It keeps me honest to use my real name. Of course, that doesn't help when people become upset with me, or future employers google me.

    I can understand why most anonymous bloggers choose to work behind the veil. The thing about the Nashville Blog Community, though, is that the anonymity doesn't last for very long. It only takes one blogger meet up for everyone to know the real names behind the anonymousness.

    Of course, they stay anonymous online so it's the best of both worlds.
     
    Yeah, John, I probably took it the wrong way because I've been following Aunt B's "problem", and naturally assumed Thomas was using that, and other recent "outings", like Lindsey's as a point of reference.

    I've known many, many people who insult others by complimenting themselves. "*I* am not judgemental". "*I* do not cuss on my blog!" and so on. That's kind of how I took it, but it's possible he's not doing that.

    Although, regardless, it was neat to work through reasons for blogging anonymously that have nothing to do with saying outragous things but not owning up to them.

    Kat, I'm looking forward to the next meet-up. Keep me posted, if you don't mind.
     
    Hey all,

    Wow, I am really glad you all took up this discussion. Thanks. I mean it, I had not thought about a lot of what you said

    Could I just respond? I actually have no idea what you are talking about as far as the "outings" go. My post was completely timed by a phone conversation I had with my boy J--, who suggested that since I had been getting some on-line crap I maybe I should think about going anonymous.

    So, I didn't at all mean to talk about anyone but me, and I still don't know who or what you all are talking about.

    Oh, and I am really judgmental, though I try to keep that and the cussing thing down on the blog. :)

    So, I was really just talking about why I need to be up front about who I am. Its part of my spiritual journey, which is really what the blog is supposed to be about. But, I don't at all mean to fault folks who are anonymous. And I think the examples used in this discussion were really great.

    Thomas+
     
    I've been thinking about this, and, I realized that I don't really notice when someone is anonymous or not. I guess I'm just used to all the blog names and I go along assuming that is their real name.

    I have no idea what that says about me.

    I am the same age as you and grew up in the same area, and, I never met a Slartibartfast, so I assume I don't know you ;)
     
    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Subscribe to Posts [Atom]