Thursday, October 26, 2006

Dork and Mindy


Walk - no - run to iTunes or wherever you get your music and get Mindy Smith's new CD Long Island Shores. It is, in a word, incredible. Better than her first (which was quite good).

If you can hear the title track and not be moved to tears, you have no heart.

Tennessee is a song I've been trying to write for 10 years. There are very few writers who can use so few words and still paint so vivid a picture.

Little Devil comes across as flirty, You Know I Love You Baby is almost sultry.

I'm Not the Only One Asking is a full-blooded conversation, which puts most of what passes for Contemporary Christian music to shame.

I just can't get enough of this new collection.

Of course, considering the fact that I've been in full testosterone mode today, you might ask how a 42-year old Nascar Republican computer-geek could be going ga-ga over a female singer-songwriter. One that probably hangs out in Hillsboro Villiage with Emmylou Harris and Steve Earle. How girly-man of me.

Well, good writing is good writing. And even though I've put out a few decent songs in my time, this young lady is in another league. And her voice, oh that voice! Listen to Angel Doves from her first CD. I can't put into words how beautiful her voice is on that song.

So I say to you: embrace your inner coffee-house, clove cigarette-smoking, Prius driving girly man. To hear the heavenly music of Mindy Smith is worth it.

Then, go shoot off a few M-80's and say "How 'bout them Titans" to your male friends. No one ever has to know...

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]