Saturday, October 28, 2006

Belated Ugly Betty Review

This week, the show really found its feet. Unfortunately, it may have lost me. More on that later.

This week was all about "playing the field" and its consequences. Betty found herself in a triangle of sorts with Walter and the Guy from Accounting (Henry - I like him much better than whiney Walter) . Walter asked Betty to move in with him, and Henry asks her to lunch. This storyline was pretty predictable; sometimes I have to remind myself that this is a female oriented show. Having two men fight over you is a pretty common female fantasy, so that's cool, even if it does nothing for me.

However, this episode really shined in the subplots. There were moments when everyone in my family laughed out loud (this almost never happens). Justin was a HOOT! He dressed as a sailor for Halloween. But not just any sailor. He was Gene Kelly. The moment when the family left the house to trick-or-treat and Justin broke into dance (to his mother's mortification) was priceless. I think I've finally figured out this character. He gives the producers the ability to have the stereotypical flaming gay character, without offending annyone. Because of his young age, it would be highly innapproprate for him to have an on-screen relationship. So, he is "gay-like", without being overtly gay. This means they can bring all the sterotypes out of mothballs, without offending homosexual activists OR red-staters. Genius.

The other great comedic moments belonged to Wilhelmina. I never knew Vannessa Williams had such great comedic talent. Her subplot involved her coming to terms that she was aging - through the device of a too-small size 2 dress. She was over the top. Even being a man, I sympathized. And laughed. When she decided to stop having boy-toys accompany her to social functions (after FashionTV flamed her for it) , she had Marc search for an appropriate man closer to her age. This gave her the line of the night: "At least try to bring me a man that doesn't leak". Ouch.

This week's NOT-so-sympatheic character was Daniel (has anyone ever noticed how much he looks like Ty Pennington?). He, as usual, had slept around every night of the week, and in the process lost a very important watch. Betty's mission was to visit the women one by one to find the watch. In the process, we find out that Miss "Monday" was Amanda, and Daniel didn't even remember it. This whole subplot was sad, and thought-provoking. But Daniel came out of it looking like a real jerk.

They further developed the plot with Betty's father (who also showed some great comedic talent this week) - in a pretty unsurpising way. So, I guess Betty will be fighting with ICE instead of HMOs in the future.

Daniel also confronted his father about his affair, and had lunch with his mother. (Judith Light? JUDITH LIGHT? - How the heck did she get so OLD? Considering I used to have a crush on her, seeing her look so old makes ME feel old). Oh, well.

All in all, this was a wonderfully funny, well written, well acted episode.

But there's a problem. They've totally dropped the "unnattractive girl surrounded by beautiful, superficial people" premise of the show. It's as if the first three episodes never happened. Betty not only fits in, she's actually looked up to by most at Mode. This premise was what drew me to the show in the first place. I had a personal connection. I've always boldy walked into situations where I'm surrounded by people who consider themselves my betters. Not because I'm some bold activist for the little people, but because I just don't know any better. If I want to do something, I do it - society be damned. I REALLY identified with the Betty character. It was ME on the screen.

Well, a female, hispanic, New Yorker me.

Anyway, I'll keep watching the show, because I've invested a good amount emotionally to it. I guess I just need to grow up and enjoy the ride.

Episode Parental Advisory: Well, this week's show WAS all about "sleeping around". However, if you have teens, this episode would be a good teaching tool about the negative effects of promiscuity. Pre-Teens Zaphod and Trillian know what sex is, and they know that unmarried people have "sleepovers" on TV, but they haven't yet put the two together.
Betty tastefully refers to having lost her virginity to Walter.
Justin is, well, Justin.
I think the show has figured out that it's in the 7pm CST timeslot. Nothing objectionable here.
Your mileage may vary.

Comments:
I guess you can' have an entire season of 'fish' out of water, but I agree that there are still more possibilities here for Betty to stick out..I love her courage and obliviousness combination. They (the writers/producers) should have more confidence in her ability to carry this show.

I'm guessing you saw 'Real Women have Curves'??? Nice movie.

Anyway...enjoying your blog.
 
The Gene Kelly part was my favorite part....I had to watch it online over and over because I still think it's pretty funny.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]